Now, what I made was based off of the recipes from this website but with my own twists. Kind of like a historical fiction, no? Or those movies that are based off of a true story... Anyway, along with this southwestern quiche, I made mexican broccoli and carrots (I made the adjustments of omitting the mushrooms and using some leftover corn. I also replaced the pepper with the same canned jalapeños I used in the quiche), biscuits, (and no, they did not turn out like the picture, but they sure were good!) and Mom dug some frozen applesauce out of the freezer since, (as she later admitted) she was a bit worried that there wouldn't be enough. However, there was enough. I made three quiches and the veggies were a hit! As were the biscuits and of course the applesauce...did I ever tell you that I have this thing for applesauce? We only ate two of the quiches which meant leftovers for lunch! And I apologize for there being no pictures, but honestly, I didn't plan on blogging about it and it was eaten so quickly that I didn't have the opportunity once the thought occurred to me. I can tell you though, that the quiche came out gorgeous and puffy, and tasted amazing. Everyone said it was a great dinner, especially considering that it was made out of everything that we had on hand. Oh, and earlier that afternoon I made two dozen vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting that also ended up being devoured with affection...but that's another post. :) My friends, never, ever doubt the power of a pantry raid.
Southwestern Quiche
- Flour or sprouted grain tortilla big enough to cover the bottom of your pie/quiche pan.
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (I, unfortunately, did not have cilantro on hand, but I added a a dew dashes of dried cilantro in it's place, though next time I will indubitably use fresh cilantro.)
- 1/4 cup canned jalapeños, drained and chopped
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Half of a can of corn
- Two garlic cloves, minced
- Half an onion, chopped
- A cup of fresh spinach
- 2-3 eggs (depends on whether your having a three-egg or two-egg kind of day)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Sour cream (opt garnish)
- Salsa (opt garnish)
You'll need a quiche or pie pan and a large bowl. I used a pie pan and it worked just fine.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees
Press tortilla into your lightly oiled pan of choice. Toss cheddar cheese, cilantro, jalapeños, and some salt and pepper in the large bowl until well combined. Sprinkle half of it over the tortilla. Whisk together eggs, milk, flour, baking powder, corn, garlic, onion, spinach, and some more salt and pepper until smooth. Pour over tortilla and sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese mixture over the top. Bake until it is golden brown – about 20 minutes – remove and let cool for about 5 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve with garnishes. Enjoy!!!
<3 Maryah
2 comments:
The meal was almost like a miracle. Not quite feeding 5000 men with a couple fish and five loaves of bread, but close. AND it tasted wonderful! Thank you <3
Hahaha, thanks! :)
Post a Comment