Friday, December 2, 2011

Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich

By lunchtime today I was feeling several things: hungry (since I hadn't eaten since breakfast), cold (since it is in fact cold), celebratory (since it's Friday), and holidayish (since it's officially the Christmas season). So when it came time to have lunch, I wanted to express those feelings, and remedy the cold and hungry ones. After a moment of checking cupboards and refrigerator drawers, I came up with a lunch idea that shall now officially be named "Grilled Apple and Cheese Sandwich." The name is fairly self-explanatory, but I'll tell you how I made it anyway.

What you need for two sandwiches:
One small apple
4 slices of bread (preferably sourdough, but whatever you have on hand)
2 slices of cheese (muenster, provolone, or gouda)
Olive oil

Go for it:
While you heat up a little olive oil in a medium sized skillet, slice your apple very thinly (if it's not organic, peel it. If it is organic, don't peel it and enjoy all those vitamins found in the skin). Saute your sliced apple in the olive oil for about 4 minutes, or until the slices are relatively soft, translucent, and warmed through (a little, or a lot, of taste testing is perfect for this step :). Split the warmed apples evenly between your two sandwiches, lay on your choice of cheese, and return to the skillet (don't forget to butter or olive oil your bread so it gets nice and golden and crispy). Once the cheese has thoroughly melted over the apples, you are done! Halve the sandwiches into triangles, and enjoy your simple, warm, festive lunch. If it's not warm enough for you, a little Cholula's hot sauce does the trick, and adds a surprisingly complementary kick to the apples. Gets the circulation going too, which is perfect on a chilly day like today.

My attempt at an artsy photo

Merry Christmas,
Mattea

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

I OFFICIALLY hand over lunch duty to you from here on.
Well done!

Isaac said...

nom. nom. nom. can my job be official tester?

Jared said...

I think i would only get to the taste testing part, I'd "taste test" everything only to find out that I had eaten it all.

Laine said...

Mmmm-looks (and smelled) great! Also-I like your artsy photo, very...artsy. =)

mariah said...

Wow, what a creative idea Mattea...love it!

mattea kiriel said...

Thank you everyone :)

Isaac, you may hand in your job application for "official taste tester" at your leisure.

Jared, I can see that happening.

brooke slack said...

WOW! that is so cool Mattea! It looks great! So is the apple in the middle!?!?! awesome job! <3 it! :)