Friday, September 16, 2011

A Prelude to Fall.

I love Fall. Fall holds many great wonders......including the people that were born in that season. :D I'm partial to Fall for a lot of reasons; one of them including the great food that happens in that time period. Lots of harvesting means lots of preserving, baking, saucing, juicing, and freezing. Some of my favorites are apple pies, grape juice, applesauce, and tomato sauce. Soups also tend to get popular around that time, and I'm glad that they do. They warm you to the tips of your toes. (Mine get cold too often). Speaking of soups, thats what I made, (surprise!) and it turned out very good and was perfect for warming up a chilly soul, (and some chilly feet). :)


I actually don't have any good pictures of the final result, sorry about that, but you can get an idea of what was like from the step-skip-a-step process photos. :)
 5 lbs. of potatoes.
 The steam effect.


 Sausage.
 Bowls that make me smile. :)

This is the best shot of the finished product that I have. I really wanted to take the time to do get some nice pictures but its hard to concentrate with 6 people wandering around the the kitchen giving me the "I'm hungry" look.


Ingredients
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons salt
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
5 lbs skin-on boiling potatoes, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
2 quarts chicken broth
A few shakes of cayenne pepper
16 oz of kale, washed, thick ribs removed, and chopped
6 cups water
24 ounces sausage cooked, smoked sausage (such as kielbasa), sliced
Some ground pepper

Directions
Scrub the potatoes and chop into to cubes. 
Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat, then sauté the onion with the salt, pepper, and garlic for 5 or so minutes stirring frequently.
Add the potatoes, the broth, and the cayenne, cover the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat before turning the heat down to low.
Simmer for 10 minutes, then add the kale and water and cook another 30 minutes, until the potatoes and the kale are very tender. 
Meanwhile, fry the sausage in a medium frying pan until browned.
Stir in the sausage, taste for salt and pepper-maybe more cayenne. 
Ladle up into some soup bowls and make yourself happy. 

Maryah R.

7 comments:

mattea kiriel said...

That was so good, and I think the cayenne cured the rest of my cold :)

mariah said...

Looks ssooo great!

brooke slack said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isaac said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laine said...

Thanks guys :)

Nicole said...

Mm. I just added this to my list-of-foods-I'm-making-in-November. Can't wait! ;)

Laine said...

Glad to have made the list!! ;-)